Best 10 Free AI Content Detectors for Detecting ChatGPT, GPT3 & GPT2
Best 10 Free AI Content Detectors for Detecting ChatGPT, GPT3 & GPT2
The Gemoo Team
Last Updated: Apr. 06, 2023 | FEATURED IN: Productivity
Until recently, it wasn’t very difficult to identify bot-generated content as it tended to look generic and include numerous errors of logic. However, the latest generation of AI tools based on the Transformer architecture is capable of producing high-quality text and photorealistic images, raising the question of how to recognize whether the content we see is automatically generated.
Fortunately, the pace of innovation is also accelerating on the side of detection. There are a lot of smartly designed tools that can recognize certain characteristics of AI-created content or other undesirable elements and automatically flag the offending items. Users who would like to stay ahead of the game and discern between different types of content with a high level of certainty should follow the emergence of new detection tools and adopt some of them into their daily working routines.
What is the Best Free AI Detector?
We present 10 of the best free AI content detector products and services here. Let’s check how they work.
Inappropriate language detector – Readable
Best for: Instantly detecting profanity and offensive language in any type of text
- Simple web-based interface that anyone can use
- Offending phrases are clearly highlighted within the text for instant removal
- Various tools aimed at improving style of the text
- The tool can apply any of the several readability formulas based on user’s choice
- Profanity detector is a paid feature
- There is no option for recognizing AI-generated text
Generative AI tool use detector – Originality.ai
Best for: Recognizing which text was generated by an advanced AI writing tools such as ChatGPT
- Highly accurate detection tool that can find parts of the text written by an AI-powered bot
- It displays an estimated percentage of AI-generated text within a document
- The app also checks for the presence of plagiarized phrases and sentences
- Very affordable and viable for checking long-form documents
- Manually edited content that was written by AI can sometimes pass the test
- AI-written text in the second-person tone can trick the detector
Plagiarism checker with AI detection capacity – Copyleaks
Best for: Discovering any plagiarized phrases or passages, including parts of text created using AI tools based on the latest GPT4 model
- Powerful AI content detector that can be installed as a Chrome extension
- It is capable of recognizing text generated by the most advanced Machine Learning algorithms
- Very effective plagiarism detection tool is also a part of the package
- The app includes an automated test grading tool powered by AI technology
- It sometimes flags clearly marked quotes or artwork titles as plagiarism
- Software is prone to slowing down when analyzing very long documents
Grammar and style detection tool – Sapling.ai
Best for: Using AI technology to detect grammatical errors and improve the style and tone of voice
- One of the most sophisticated AI assistant tools aimed at professional writers and editors
- Actively provides personalized writing suggestions within the proper context
- Detailed statistics about vocabulary use and text style are automatically generated
- Customer support is at a high level and responds nearly instantly
- Integrations with other software suites don’t always work smoothly
- The app doesn’t work in offline mode
Machine Learning algorithm customization tool – Hugging Face
Best for: Training custom machine learning algorithms for NLP tasks including Tranformer-based models
Hugging Face Overview
- Open-source platform available to anyone that provides key resources for model development
- Online library that contains several pre-trained AI models to experiment with
- Contains numerous high-quality datasets that can be used for testing
- Very good tutorial is provided to help beginners get up to speed
- Searching for a specific model in the library can be time-consuming
- Requires some programming knowledge to use most effectively
Hate speech detector – Textrics
Best for: Identifying and tagging of offensive text content including hate speech that is based on sarcasm
- AI-based text analytics suite with the capacity to accurately recognize sentiments
- It has integrated Offensive Language Detection function that is very sensitive to abusive actions
- Relies on Intent Analysis to deduce the intended meaning of sarcastically worded text
- The underlying model can be re-trained to fit the customer’s requirements
- The price is too high for individuals and small businesses
- Detector tools may not be able to identify AI-generated posts
Best for: Filtering spam messages arriving to an inbox and prevention of sophisticated phishing attacks
- Enterprise-level security solution that automatically recognizes and filters spam messages
- AI-driven software can instantly detect malicious attempts to steal corporate data
- Cloud-based deployment that requires minimal expertise on the client side
- Effective detection of bot-like behavior and AI-generated text within e-mails
- Unknown effectiveness against the most advanced AI chatbots
- Customer service doesn’t always respond promptly
Offensive content detector – Clarifai
Best for: Detecting offensive or NSFW content in the form of text, image, or audio
- Multimodal platform for content moderation powered by advanced Deep Learning algorithms
- Instantly recognizes offensive or toxic expressions in many different languages
- Has the ability to identify objects, logos, and other visual elements within analyzed images
- Automatic annotation of unstructured data helps with further training of AI models
- Many of the functions are still in the experimental stage
- Visual objects can’t be recognized in a live stream
Best for: Uncovering and eliminating hidden bias inherent in datasets used to train powerful AI models
AI Fairness 360 Overview
- Open-source toolkit released by IMB that helps researchers keep their AI models free of bias
- Utilizes a combination of algorithms to mitigate any bias that could affect AI model training
- Includes more than 70 fairness metrics that allow for objective evaluation
- Tutorials for application of the toolkit in different industries are provided
- It is only effective for removing bias during the model training stage
- Complex tool that requires advanced understanding of AI technology
Detector of bot-generated content – Content at Scale
Best for: Recognizing AI-generated content from very short text sequences
Content at Scale Interface
- One of the most advanced AI text detection tools capable of finding the output of the latest machine learning models
- Recognizes presence of machine-generated text in mixed-source samples
- Includes AI-based tools that can be used to improve readability and SEO ranking
- Very fast and reliable detection of AI tools usage that allows for high-volume use
- May be defeated by the output of the latest GPT 4 model
- Only a browser-based version of the software is available
Frequently Asked Questions about AI Detectors
Is it possible to detect content created by the most powerful machine learning models such as GPT 3.5 and GPT 4?
The most advanced generative-AI applications built on top of the large language models with huge numbers of neurons can produce very human-like content that isn’t easily detected. Still, some of the best detection tools can spot patterns that strongly suggest that a part of the text for written by AI.
How effective are AI content detectors at preventing malicious attacks based on machine learning tools?
The rate of success depends on which tools are used to mount the attack and which software is deployed for content detection. In general, specialized apps for detection of certain kinds of malware (spam, fake news…) can reach a high level of reliability with very few false positives and false negatives.
What are the elements of AI-generated content that can be most easily detected?
Parts of text plagiarized from public sources can be detected with nearly 100% certainty. However, it may be more difficult to detect misinformation or spam inserted into a message, particularly if a high-level AI chatbot was used to generate the content and some human editing was performed.
We are living in an era of the rapid progress in AI technologies and the proliferation of online content. In those dynamic conditions, it’s more important than ever to retain the ability to differentiate between genuine man-made text and AI-generated content. Thanks to a wide range of free content detectors available on the internet, in most cases it’s possible to correctly recognize the source as well as detect presence of offensive or malicious elements. The evolution of such tools (especially those that rely on Machine Learning) is crucial if we want to keep our communications free of bias, hate speech, spam and malicious threats in the age of AI-dominated internet.
The Gemoo Team
The Gemoo Team is committed to building products that help people effectively communicate and collaborate.